Skip to content
- Place wheat berries in a medium saucepan; cover with water to 2 inches above wheat berries. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and cook, uncovered, 1 hour or until tender. Drain.
- Combine 2 cups boiling water and mushrooms in a bowl; cover and let stand 30 minutes. Drain mushrooms, reserve soaking liquid. Discard mushroom stems; thinly slice mushroom caps.
- Combine parsley and garlic; divide into 2 equal portions.
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooked wheat berries, mushrooms, ½ of parsley mixture, onion and carrots; sauté 5 minutes.
- Stir in reserved mushroom liquid, broth, wine and tomato paste; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add pasta, spinach, salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Stir in reserved parsley mixture.
- Spoon soup into bowls and top with cheese.Servings: 8
Time Saver Tip: Cook extra wheat berries as directed in the recipe or they can be prepared following the brown rice directions in a rice cooker. Freeze for later use.