- Combine strawberries, sugar, and vanilla bean (or extract). Stir well and let stand 2 hours
- Beat whipping cream at medium speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually beating until soft peaks form. Cover and chill.
- Whisk together eggs, sour cream, and vanilla until blended
- Combine flour, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl. Using a grater, grate the frozen butter directly into the dry ingredients. Use the side of the grater with the largest holes. Stir to coat in flour mix. Frozen, grated butter gives lovely soft, fluffy texture to your shortcake.
- Add wet ingredients to dry , stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened and forms a ball.
- On a floured surface gently press down your dough to 1 thick. With a round cutter (I used 4″ wide, but you can use smaller) cut out your shortcakes.
- Glaze the tops of the scones with milk. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until golden.
- Split shortcakes in half horizontally. Spoon about 1/2 cup berry mix and juice onto each shortcake bottom; top each with a rounded spoonful of chilled whipped cream, and cover with tops. Dust the shortcake with icing sugar to decorate.
Source: Gemma Stafford