*Puree squash: combine the roasted meat of one butternut (or similar) squash with 2 cups chicken broth and puree in a blender. (May have extra pureed squash which can be frozen for another time).
** To make caramelized onions:
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- Place ingredients in skillet and cook until onions are brown and soft and all the liquid has dissipated. Set aside.
- In a large pot, combine pureed squash and remaining chicken broth. Add all remaining ingredients (Except for the orzo, butter and Parmesan cheese) and bring to boiling.
- Add the orzo and simmer until orzo is soft and mixture thick for serving.
- Stir in butter and cheese.
- Serve immediately. Freezes well.