To Make the Sweet Dough:
- Mix the flour, yeast, sugar and salt together in a standing mixer fitted with dough hook. In a microwavable measuring jug, heat together the milk, water, butter until luke warm and the butter is melted.
- Turn the machine on low and slowly add the milk mixture. Mix for 2 minutes to wake up the yeast. Increase the speed to medium and mix until the dough is shiny and smooth, 6-8 minutes. The dough is supposed to be saggy and on the wet side.
- Coat a large bowl with vegetable oil (or any flavorless oil). Place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat lightly.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise until doubled,1 ½ -2 hours.
To Make the Caramel:
- By combining the ingredients in a pot and heating until the sugar dissolves and the butter melts. set aside to cool. To form the bread, gently remove the dough from the bowl and knead lightly on a floured surface knocking out the air.
- Using a bench scraper or knife, cut the dough into big and small pieces, a nice mix. For the secret ingredient: Smear some cream cheese in the middle of some dough pieces (do as many as you want).
- Wrap the dough around the cream cheese sealing it in a ball. Pinch to secure closed. In a large bowl mix together the sugar and cinnamon and toss in your dough pieces covering each piece generously.
To Assemble the Monkey Bread:
- In a Bundt pan, Drizzle in a layer of the caramel sauce and ⅓ of the pecans. Layer in ½ of the dough pieces. Repeat the second layer by scatter on another ⅓ of the pecans and go another round with the caramel sauce. Top off with the remaining dough pieces, pecans and the last of the caramel sauce.
- Cover the Bundt pan tightly with plastic wrap and let the monkey bread rise at room temperature for 25-30 minutes or until puffy and they have risen 1-2 inches from the top of the pan (To make the day before refrigerate the bread once assembled, bake the next day).
- Heat the oven to 350oF (180oC). Unwrap the pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top is beautifully brown and caramel begins to bubble around edges.
- Cool the monkey bread in the pan for 5 minutes (any longer and the bread will be too sticky and hard to remove!), then turn out on a platter or large plate and allow to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
Enjoy straight away!
Store leftovers covered at room temperature for 3 days.