- In a large saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil.
- Add the penne pasta and cook according to package directions. When draining, reserve ½ cup of the pasta water.
- Put the sun-dried tomatoes in the reserved water to plump. (drain well when you are ready to add them to the mixture).
- Toast the walnuts under the broiler until slightly browned. Be sure to watch closely as they can burn quickly.
- Put the pressed garlic in a large bowl.
- Add the walnuts, sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, basil, salt, and cheeses. Add the pasta and toss all ingredients until pasta is well-coated.
- Pour onto a platter and serve warm.
Serves 8 as a side dish; 6 as a main dish