- Cut the waffles in half crosswise. Lay 6 halves in the bottom of an 8×8-inch baking dish, arranging them so they lay flat. Sprinkle with half the pears and half the bacon. Cover with the remaining 6 waffle halves and sprinkle with the remaining pears and bacon.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, maple syrup, vanilla, salt and nutmeg. Pour over the waffles.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and press all over the surface with your fingers to submerge the waffles in the liquid. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and as Serves 6long as overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix together the sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle it over the waffles. Bake in the middle of the oven, 50-55 minutes, until lightly puffed and firm. Let sit 5 minutes before cutting into squares.
- Serve warm, with maple syrup if desired.