Skip to content
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Set a large, ovenproof skillet over medium heat and add the bacon, onion and garlic. Cook until the bacon is crispy and the onion is translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Break 1 ½ cup croutons into smaller pieces and stir them into the mushroom mixture. Add 1 ½ cups broth, fold it in and remove from stove. Season generously with pepper.
- Crush the remaining 1 ½ cups croutons into crumbs in the food processor or blender, or by putting them into a zipper-seal bag and crushing them with a rolling pin.
- Cut a wide slit crosswise in the side of each chicken breast to make a big pocket, being careful not to slice the breasts in half. Divide the crouton mixture among the chicken breasts, pushing it into the pockets. Brush the chicken breasts with mustard.
- Set the chicken breasts in the (unwashed) skillet and sprinkle them with the crumbs. Roast in the oven for 16-18 minutes (depending on thickness), until they are cooked through.
- Set each of the chicken breasts on a plate. Add the remaining ½ cup chicken broth and the butter to the skillet. Warm over medium heat, stirring. Spoon a little of the pan mixture around each chicken breast, sprinkle with chopped parsley, if using, and serve.